It's Sam's 18th birthday today! Here's an archive picture of Sam at age 9 and Diesel as a ball-of fluff- 5-week old puppy.
Fido's People Crackers*
Materials and directions:
1/4 cup hot tap water
8 chicken bouillon cubes (remember those?)
1 package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar,
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups wheat germ
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Pour the hat tap water into a large bowl. Add the chicken bouillon cubes and crush them with a fork. Stir in the yeast and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato juice, 1 cup all-purpose flour and the wheat germ. Stir with a large spoon to form a smooth batter. Then stir in the remaining all-purpose and the whole wheat flours. (this will make the dough very dry and stiff). You'll probably have to use your hands to finish mixing.
- Sprinkle flour on a surface such as a cutting board, then take a couple of handfuls of dough out and work into a small ball shape. Then, with a rolling pin flatten the balls to about 1/4" thick on the cutting board. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.
- Now, use a table knife to cut out your people shapes, or use a bone-shaped cookie cutter, or a ginger-bread boy cutter--or any shape you want! Then repeat the whole process again with the rest of the dough, working a couple of handfuls at a time.
- Finally, use a spatula to put your people bicuits onto a cookie sheet. Then bake at 300 degrees for about an hour. Afterwards, let them dry in the turned-off oven for quite a while, 4 hours or so. (teaches patience)
- Store in an air-tight container, and dole out to your doggie when he/she deserves a little treat!
*from KidsCooking: A Very Slightly Messy Manual, by the editors of Klutz Press, 1987.
Sam and Diesel as grown-ups.